Friday 24 December 2010

Carfree: Peter Mandelson

Peter Mandelson was a quarter of the Gang of Four (no, not the Chinese one, the British one, with Alistair Cambell, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, who together turned The Project into New Labour). He was also a Sultan of Spin, a Member of Parliament, occupant of several Ministerial posts, a European Commissioner in Brussels and now rejoices in the title ‘Baron Mandelson, of Foy in the County of Herefordshire and of Hartlepool in the County of Durham.’ 

In last weekend’s Financial Times magazine, Mandelson noted, “I haven’t owned or driven a car since 1999. I drove into the House of Commons; an hour and a half later I was secretary of state for Northern Ireland and I never drove again. I use my bicycle in London. You just have to have confidence and wear a helmet.”  

Sadly, he blew it with his answer to the question “What would you like to own that you don’t currently possess?” to which he replied, “A rural bolt-hole. And a car that I can fold my Brompton bike into.”

No comments:

Post a Comment